Fostering Self Governance for Resource Management and Sustainable Development
LOK MAANDI – people’s platform for voicing their concern was established under DFID supported initiative of Poorest Areas Civil Societies (PACS). The organization had concentrated its efforts in 30 selected villages of Ghughari block of Mandla district in the first phase of the activities. The objective to empower the local communities to realize their access and entitlements and the successful approaches used were further replicated in the entire block. The major objectives were:
- To organize tribals into Common Interest Groups/Self Help Groups and enable sustainable functioning of these Groups through income generation initiatives based on value addition of local resources.
- To enable the rural communities realize powers of Gram-Sabha to follow a demand-driven development approach.
- To empower people for conducting social audit of the development activities for ensuring transparency in the system.
- To ensure participatory planning and decision making process in the Panchayati Raj System.
- The above objectives are achieved through: building awareness, mobilising people mostly women, implementing citizen’s charter, participatory micro planning and strengthening of natural resource base.
This unprecedentented initiative is awaiting further action.