Addressing Draught by Natural Resources Management through Community Initiatives for Secured Childhood in Dhar District (tribal Bhil) of Western Madhya Pradesh
Secured Childhood through Community Initiatives- a long term Child Development Programme is being implemented by CARD in 49 villages of 3 locations of Dhar & Jhabua districts.
|District||Block||No. of Villages||No. of enrolled children|
The programme aims at child centred total development through sponsorship of around 1473 children/households and is intended on one hand total development of the local children and long term drought proofing of the region on the other. To achieve the long term goal of secured childhood for the present and future generations and food security, the project “Child development” sets the following objectives and strategies:
- To ensure that the children of the selected region enjoy reasonable standard of living with secured future development by improving health and education infrastructure.
- To ensure that women are brought to the forefront of development processes for an assured child security by involving women in the decision making process, build their capacities and assure involvement of women in the development processes.
- To ensure that the government social security schemes are properly implemented and reach the right beneficiaries so that food for even the most vulnerable and marginalized person in the community is secured.
It was proposed to initiate the above strategies with Child Fund (I) India during 2004 in the selected cluster of villages. Child Fund (I) support mainly focused on education, health, nutrition, and early child development components, and partially in livelihoods security issues. CARD integrated it with NREGA based watershed programmes.
Role of CARD as Lead Agency:
Recently CARD has been identified as Lead Partner among all the three partners of CF(I) project in Madhya Pradesh. As Lead Partner CARD will take a lead for Livelihood theme under life stage three program of ChildFund India.
As Implementation Partner the major achievements of CARD are;
- Formation of 32 children’s clubs and their capacity building.
- Established 3 child resource centres well equipped with computers ,library, life skill education & other teaching aids.
- • Implementation of regular life skill program with 700 children.
- • Establishment of Library centres for 500 children to create healthy education environment in selected Govt. schools.
- Capacity building of Govt. teachers to increase their participation & enhance quality services in education.
- Capacity building of School management committee on their roles & responsibilities in education.
- Creating Awareness on Right to education ( RTE ) in Dhar & Jhabua district with SMC & community members.
- 16 Youth & adolescent group formed to enhance their capacity regarding leadership & decision making
- Provided support to 150 poor youth & adolescents to pursue education.
- Networking with other skill development agencies like KVK, PMKK, DDYY. Total 250 youth & adolescents acquired skill trainings.
- Promoted Kadaknath poultry farming activity among 80 tribal families to ensure their increased economical condition.
- Implementing Mukti project with 300 TB Patients in 6 Blocks of Dhar district. Under this project team is facilitating Counselling sessions with all TB patients, ensuring their proper nutrition level through food basket support, facilitating PD Hearth sessions to change food practices and increase nutrition level.
- Ensured Safe Motherhood: ANC, PNC, Hundred percent institutional deliveries,
- Ensured 82 percent immunization among children,
- Routine immunization camps for children and pregnant women in linkages with line Department.
- ANC/PNC camps are being organized at village/block level for the community and provide IFA tablets.
- Capacity building of adolescent on personnel hygiene, RCH
- Awareness, prevention of Malaria, HIV/ AIDS, Family Planning Emergency help by project in serious cases